paper bags

From: domainremoved <Cherie>
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2013 16:24:04 -0800

Dear Councilmembers,

  Whether or not you intend to vote for the ban on single-use plastic
bags, please decouple the proposed charge for paper bags from the
ordinance, and allow our merchants to continue to provide paper bags
without charge to their customers.

Not only would the proposed charges on paper bags unfairly burden
lower income people, but many people, myself included, re-use grocery
store paper bags to carry our recyclables and/or garbage to the trash
bins outside. If we had to pay up to 25 cents per paper bag, we’re
going to stop using them for those tasks and buy more plastic garbage
bags instead, which will mean more plastic in the landfill.

In addition, government mandating a fee for paper bags flies in the
face of free enterprise. It virtually functions as a new tax on
residents, and at a time when the economy is teetering. And if the
stores are to keep the revenue from the sale of the bags, which will
be a considerable amount over time, then you are asking residents to
subsidize retail stores.

There is no need for our City Council to simply rubberstamp the ban
adopted by the county. You have the opportunity to oppose the ban
altogether, or to tweak it for the needs and preferences of our
residents. If you decide to pass the ban on plastic bags, please
restrict it to just that: a ban on single-use plastic bags (with
exemptions for produce, meat, fish and poultry, medicines, etc. as per
the county’s ordinance), and remove all language regarding charging
for paper bags from the ordinance.

Sincerely,

Cherie Zaslawsky

Menlo Park Downtown