NTMP REVISION

From: domainremoved <>
Date: Wed, 9 Jan 2013 10:48:58 -0800

Dear Council and members of the Transportation Commission,

Regrettably, I am unable to attend tonight's (9 January 2013) meeting on NTMP.

As a resident concerned about loss of neighborhood quality of life caused by
increased development in Menlo Park and in the surrounding cities, I feel it is
important that residents be afforded a balanced means to protect their
neighborhoods from the resulting increased traffic flows.

The present NTMP is an unduly conservative policy which seeks to minimize
changes to the existing roadway structure, despite heavy traffic increases
unforeseen by the original planners. The NTMP erects nearly insurmountable
barriers to change: thus, in the mandated polls to authorize mitigations,
unreturned ballots are tallied in the NO column, rather than simply being
discounted. I urge you to revise the NTMP to assure that both pro- and
anti-mitigation opinions are equally weighted.

Further, the present NTMP casts city Transportation Department staff in the role
of mere facilitators; I believe it high time that staff become actively involved
in details of traffic issues, rather than simply hiring consultants. There is a
vast amount of training material and traffic-modelling software available to
this end.

Finally, it would be good if the NTMP contains provisions requiring the City to
alert most-affected residents to the effect of new development on traffic in
their neighborhoods, and provide a mechanism for residents to request changes
<before> development plans are frozen. Presently, traffic implications are
submerged in complex EIR documents, which often understate traffic increases.

Sincerely,

Ross Wilson
Woodland Avenue, Menlo Park