Plastic Bag Ban

From: Cherie Zaslawsky <cherzz_at_domain_name_was_removed>
Date: Tue, 8 Jan 2013 13:16:15 -0800

Dear City Council Members,

I urge you to vote against the proposed ban on plastic bags and the
proposed charge for paper bags.
Residents deserve the freedom to make their own choices as to whether
to buy re-usable bags and/or use paper and/or plastic bags supplied by
the stores. And their choices may vary at different times depending
on many circumstances, while this ban amounts to micromanaging
people's lives.

Furthermore, a charge of 25 cents for each and every paper bag we use
at the grocery store would, over time, significantly increase our
grocery bills--the last thing we need while the economy is weak and
many people have lost their jobs. This would be placing an added
burden on our residents. In addition, many people reuse plastic bags
for myriad purposes. Banning them would also place an addition
financial burden on residents as we would have to buy plastic bags for
these other uses.
In other words, what the ban would do, is to raise prices--to cost our
residents more money. It is even questionable whether the ban would
even reduce the use of paper or plastic bags. But it would certainly
inconvenience our residents and make shopping more expensive for them.

Again, please do not adopt this plastic bag ban, or the proposed
charges for paper bags.

Sincerely,

Cherie Zaslawsky

Menlo Park Downtown