Reusable Bag Ordinance-Do Not Pass!

From: tim yaeger <tyaegs1_at_domain_name_was_removed>
Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2013 13:03:54 -0800

City Council Member: I respectfully request that you do not approve an ordinance that eliminates plastic bags from Menlo Park.   Citizens are confronted with ever increasing assaults on their personal liberties every day.  Government mandates such as the one proposed go way beyond and powers granted to governments by its citizens.  The choice of bags to be used is a personal decision that each resident needs to make based upon their beliefs.   Charging $0.10 or even the proposed price of $0.25 per bag will not change behavior, and it is not the role of government to change behavior. Where does the regulation end.   The effects on residents health by reusing bags is far too great a risk to the population of Menlo Park. I for one will not be able to reuse the plastic bags for other trash collection, dog droppings etc.  I will now need to buy additional plastic bags. I dont believe the EIR has gone far enough to address the negative impacts that this ban would have. Be bold and pass on this ordinance that may sound good on the surface, but certainly does more harm then it will prevent. Best, Tim Yaeger 387 Hedge Road. Received on Mon Jan 07 2013 - 13:04:00 PST

Email communications sent to the City Council are public records. This site is an archive of emails received by the City Council at its city.council_at_domain_name_was_removed