San Francisquito Creek Bank Erosion Damage

From: Jim Wiley <jim.wiley_at_domain_name_was_removed>
Date: Fri, 4 Jan 2013 19:44:56 -0800

Dear Council-members,

I suggest that the city of Menlo Park join the application for federal emergency funds with our downstream neighbors to address the serious creek bank erosion damage suffered along the San Francisquito Creek in Menlo Park on December 23, 2012.

Unlike our downstream neighbors, we are very lucky that Menlo Park suffered little flooding from water coming out of the creek on December 23rd. However, like our downstream neighbors, there was serious erosion to our San Francisquito Creek banks due to the unusually long hours of high-level, high-velocity flows. The Palo Alto creek banks suffered little erosion due to the concrete installed over the years by the Santa Clara Valley Water District.

This morning I did a quick survey and saw and photographed some of the serious creek bank erosion damage we suffered on December 23rd. In my 45 minute survey (just along Palo Alto Avenue) I found erosion damage at about a dozen sites, one just downstream of the Willow Place bike bridge and the others near these Menlo Park addresses:

3 Russell Court
5 Russell Court
66 Willow Place
188 East Creek Drive
627 Woodland Ave.
706 Woodland Ave.

1025 Woodland Ave.
1231 Woodland Ave.
1141 Woodland Ave.
1200 Woodland Ave.
1231 Woodland Ave.

I would appreciate the city of Menlo Park conducting an creek bank damage assessment and acting to join the application for federal emergency funds as soon as possible.

Warm regards,

Jim Wiley Received on Fri Jan 04 2013 - 19:45:30 PST

Email communications sent to the City Council are public records. This site is an archive of emails received by the City Council at its city.council_at_domain_name_was_removed