city communications

From: Mary Stuart <mary.p.stuart_at_(domain_name_was_removed)>
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2011 14:09:59 -0800

Dear City Council members,

 On Wednesday, 12/14/11, phone numbers listed on the website for Menlo Park were all "disconnected" - except the main number (aka the non-emergancy contact number), which was answered by a foster family service agency in San Francisco. The man who answered told me this has been going on "for a long time," but they weren't receiving "as many phone calls recently."

I emailed the assistant city manager to alert the city of this problem, and the email came back "undeliverable."

Thursday 12/15/11 I went in to the police department and spoke with the woman at the counter about this problem. She agreed that yes, on Wednesday the phones were out, and that this happens from time to time, but it was OK now. Essentially, she shrugged off this concern.

How is it acceptable that in the information age in Menlo Park that the police department main phone number is routed to a SF private company, that all other numbers are seemingly disconnected, and that the email to city workers don't function? !

Who will make sure that access to essential and emergency services is not impaired - for any reason, if not you, the city council?

I am astonished this has happened at all, and more astonished that contact numbers are not working over and over - so that the police department "just lives with it." This is unacceptable.

Sincerely
Mary Stuart Received on Fri Dec 16 2011 - 14:11:16 PST