** Irrigation Well proposed for Nealon Park

From: Marjorie Zimmerman <mtz_at_(domain_name_was_removed)>
Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2011 14:33:34 -0800

Commissioners of the city of Menlo Park:

I would like to add myself to the number of Menlo Park residents who object to the proposed project to place a well in Nealon Park for the purpose of irrigating the Sharon Heights Golf and Country Club. I wish the city would stop entertaining deals to sell pieces of the park to commercial and/or private interests.

I wish the city would involve the residents in a plan to reduce water use for real instead of pretending to do it with a sweetheart deal with an affluent country club of which none of us will ever be members. The gutter in front of my house is filled with water EVERY morning that has run off from the lawns of neighbors who water their grass to excess just to mow it and send it to the municipal compost heap. Perhaps the city could ask as it has in the past for residents' cooperation in reducing water use.

I am very disappointed to see the city staff SO excited by all the money SHGCC is plying them with to push through this project. This really makes me wonder about the ethics of the people who are running my city.   I think SHGCC should use their ample resources to find ways to maintain a golf course with less water. In these times when people are protesting the oppression of the general citizenry by the very wealthy minority, this seems to me to be yet another example of this kind of domination. They have the money, they can take our water, end of discussion?

I'm sorry about the tone of this message. I'm very disappointed with the way the city is handling this proposal, disappointed that I have to fight yet another intrusion into my neighborhood that is of no benefit to it. I'm disappointed that city officials won't make the right decisions for the people of their city. I'm disappointed that those of us who are affected by these projects have to waste so much of our time fighting these assaults.

Marjorie Zimmerman
650 Kenwood Drive
Menlo Park

--

"When your daily activities are in concert with your highest priorities, you have a credible claim to INNER PEACE." Hyrum Smith