RE: Down town plan

From: Cline, Richard A <RACline_at_(domain_name_was_removed)>
Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2011 09:41:08 -0800

Answers below. Thanks, Tom.

From: tommadson_at_hawaii.rr.com [tommadson_at_hawaii.rr.com] Sent: Monday, December 12, 2011 5:43 AM
To: Cline, Richard A
Cc: Nancy Couperus; _CCIN
Subject: RE: Down town plan

The property owners in the central business district paid for the plaza's. for their use. I have been in business in Menlo Park or been a property owner in the downtown since 1968, I have seen the available parking being depleted to the point where employees don't have a place to park and now there has been restricted time parking in all of the plazas since the 1980's. The property owners that paid for those plazas should have the final say as to there use. Flawed developments such as 888 Oak Grove and what is now being proposed at 702 Oak Grove are what has caused the parking problems. Inadequate parking requirements for developments!

       Please answer four Questions:
                            !. Where are the customers, employees, construction workers and heavy equiptment going to park for the years that this project is going to take to build???
This is not a project, it is a plan. Any projects within the plan will need to address your concerns on a project by project basis. This is a plan.
                            2. Where is the additional parking going to be to replace the parking that will be lost by this plaza development and  the additional parking demands created by any development?.
What plaza development do you refer to at this point? The parking garage? Right now there is little, if any, planned development on the plazas.
                            3. There are hundreds of business and property owners in the central business district, are there any of  them  in favor of this?   I have yet to meet one.
There are business owners that have voiced support for a variety of elements within the plan. Some have support wider sidewalks, some like a parking garage to move employee parking away from the plazas and some want more housing nearby to bring more customers. If you need a list, I can provide one to you with approval from the business owners.
                            4. What business and property do you own or run in the Central Business District that would be effected by this plan? After all, the people that own property in the CBD paid for the plazas, and should have the final say as to there use as they are the ones who will be most affected by this development.
You continue to refer to the plazas -- perhaps we can meet and I can show you the plan in person and answer the questions you have.
                     Until you can answer all four of the above questions I again say seriously "RAMMING THROUGH" without regard to the downtown business and property owners wishes. After all they paid for the plazas

I answered the questions -- and can answer more. I again think ramming is simply misleading given the amount of time it has taken -- and by time I mean four years.

                                    I appreciate your reply. Yours is the FIRST time my questions  have been responded to, thank you very much.

                                                                         Tom Madson
                                                                          43 year business and property owner in the Central Business District