Menlo Park downtown plan

From: Jayna Sheats <jsheats_at_(domain_name_was_removed)>
Date: Sat, 10 Dec 2011 11:38:11 -0800

Dear sirs/madams:

As a neighbor, I am not a voter in Menlo Park but am a frequent shopper there. I want to say that I wholeheartedly support the efforts of the advocates for the Farmers' Market to keep plenty of open space for this excellent market.

I am not thoroughly familiar with the details of what is being proposed, but I have the sense that it takes the city more toward the look of downtown Palo Alto on University Avenue, which is a disaster, as opposed to the far more inviting, European-style attraction of downtown Mountain View on Castro Street. Castro Street is people-friendly and amenable to open air dining (which University Avenue is absolutely not), yet the city accomplished this without destroying the surface parking space that is needed for an effective weekend farmers' market.

Obviously it is not a physical requirement that farmers' market space be used for parking during the week, but in the context of mid-peninsula landuse reality, there is probably no other option. In any case, preservation of this space should be among Menlo Park's highest priorities.

Sincerely,

Jayna Sheats
Palo Alto, CA 94301
650-255-3098 Received on Sat Dec 10 2011 - 11:38:21 PST