Flood Park

From: Tim <paragon007_at_(domain_name_was_removed)>
Date: Thu, 19 May 2011 07:50:51 -0700

Good Morning Gentle-ones;

     They say the squeaky wheel gets oiled. So, I thought I would share an additional thought. I went to a town hall type meeting a few weeks ago at a home near Flood Park. County representatives and a Menlo Park representative were present. A suggestion was made during the meeting to segment the park to keep the picnic area open. The response from county was, the ball park is the main revenue generator and you cannot separate the cash flow from the park and keep another park open.

Assuming, the ball park is the only or main revenue generator, why not separate the ball park from the rest of the park, if it can support itself? When the finances and business plan are shored up, then the whole park could be reopened. When I attended baseball games games I the past, I have always wondered why there was not a concession stand or barbecue to create additional revenue. If the food was purchased or donated for that purpose, it would seem to be a good additional revenue generator. I was a little league team parent for many years. I can honestly share with you, it is not rocket science to chalk fields, cut the grass, spread red lava rock in the infield or manage the clay on the pitchers mound. Irrigation is not difficult either. Season pass parking permits could be part of the team registration at the beginning of the season. The same goes for soccer. I urge you to explore the possibilities in a volunteer army to keep the ballpark open. The park finances may require that Flood Park be reopened in phases as it is fiscally possible.

Tim Makovkin
Preparatory High School Team Parent Received on Thu May 19 2011 - 07:52:03 PDT