Official City Recognition of Carl Clark WWII Hero

From: <lawrench_at_(domain_name_was_removed)>
Date: Fri, 24 Dec 2010 16:25:13 -0800

I used to work for the Navy and did a tour at Explosive Safety at NAVSEACENPAC in San Diego. I read the report on the explosion at the Port Chicago ammunition dump during WWII. Racism was pandemic in the Navy at that time. African Americans were given the most dangerous jobs under the most difficult working conditions and received virtually no recognition for their heroism and sacrifice.

Mr. Clark's valor should be publicly commended. He repeatedly put his own life at risk while suffering from serious injuries to save the lives of his fellow crew members and to save the vessel. There is no question that Mr. Clark deserves the Congressional Medal of Honor. All that remains is whether our Government has the courage to right this wrong.

I applaud Congresswoman Eshoo's efforts to right to give Mr. Clark his well earned recognition. The Menlo Park City Council can do the same at the Tuesday May 3, 2011 City Council meeting. Mr. Clark should be given a Key to the City. He is definitely one of the most heroic people of "The Greatest Generation". We should all honor his service to our country. It is people like him that keep our country free.

Sincerely,

Hank Lawrence

2441 Sharon Oaks Drive

Menlo Park, CA 94025