why are we hiring at 2.7/55?

From: Henry Riggs <hlriggs_at_(domain_name_was_removed)>
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2010 17:32:23 -0800

Council members,

We all know that the current obligations for city pensions are unsustainable. As the city is actively addressing this problem with two tier benefit proposals, and has expressed firm commitment to this solution, it seems obvious that we would not fill any positions prior to enacting the two tier system. Put another way, when you realize you are in the most expensive widget store in town, why would you buy one more widget before crossing the street to the competitive store?

Since Measure L was placed on the ballot, there have been I believe three hires. Since Measure L passed on November 2, there are now two positions posted at current benefits. Something is not right.

Please direct the city manager and personnel director to freeze all hires until we have crossed the street. Until that time, all immediately needed positions, including police, should be filled only on contract. This seems only responsible.

Henry Riggs Received on Wed Dec 22 2010 - 17:33:07 PST