Willows Area Wide Traffic comments

From: Vickie Brewster <vlbnkids_at_(domain_name_was_removed)>
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2010 07:34:05 -0800

Dear City Council and Transportation Committee members,

After attending all three neighborhood meetings for the Willows Area Wide Traffic study, listening to my neighbors and reviewing the proposed Draft Final Alternative Plan (as presented at the Third Community meeting on November 18, 2010) I have concluded that I support maintaining the status quo in the neighborhood and not implementing any portion of the plan. If I must choose one aspect of the plan then I can only support the coordinated timing of the traffic signals on Willow and Middlefield. All other measures sacrifice the community to appease a few.

The proposed measures to address speeding are depicted in slide 16 of the November 18, 2010 presentation. All require an expenditure of money. Slowing traffic can be accomplished by rigorous enforcement of traffic laws with the added benefit of potentially raising revenues for the city. The general public receives a benefit when the laws are enforced.

The only portion of the plan that deals directly with cut-through traffic is the timing of the traffic signals on Willow and Middlefield. Making the commute less onerous will encourage drivers to remain on the arterials and not cut through the neighborhood. The other proposed calming measures (depicted on Slide 31 of the November 18, 2010 presentation) only serve to divert traffic from one street to another. The one-way street closures are an extreme measure that inconveniences the majority of residents. These other measures may benefit a few but do nothing for the community as a whole.

For the reasons given above, I urge the Transportation Commission to reject the proposed plan. If the Transportation Commission feels compelled to do something then signal coordination is the only proposed measure that should move forward as it is the sole measure that benefits the entire community.

Finally, slide 50 of the November 18, 2010 presentation shows a red hatched region that is being proposed as the core area in which to conduct the neighborhood survey to determine if the plan can move forward. The Staff Recommendation for the RFP (Staff Report #08-177) clearly states that "The key guiding principle of the study will be an emphasis on broad public outreach and participation." If any portion of the plan is to move forward I urge the Transportation Commission to honor its original statement and involve all of the community's residents in the survey.

Sincerely,
Vickie Brewster

“Unity, not uniformity, must be our aim." --Mary Parker Follett,
American social worker and political activist

Sent from my iPad Received on Wed Dec 15 2010 - 07:32:40 PST