RE: Tonight's revised agenda

From: William L. McClure <wlm_at_(domain_name_was_removed)>
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2010 17:21:50 +0000

City Council-In reply to Lee Duboc's email below, I just wanted to point out that specific language has been added to our agenda forms (in the box at the end of the agenda) , including the Amended Agenda for tonight's meeting, that specifically provides that for Regular Meetings in addition to the general public comment period, the public has the right to comment on any agenda item listed on the agenda-either before or during consideration of the matter-at a time designated by the Mayor. Similar language has also been added to the form for special meetings, except that there is no general public comment period for special meetings. This is in full compliance with any and all notice requirements in the Brown Act. We have customarily treated closed sessions and the public's right to comment differently on our agendas since they take place in a different location and it is listed as a closed session, so the public would not otherwise know that they can address the council before it goes into closed session. If you have any questions or require any further clarification, please feel free to contact me. Best regards, Bill

William L. McClure, City Attorney
City of Menlo Park
1100 Alma Street, Suite 210
Menlo Park, CA 94025
650-324-9300 Ofc
650-324-0227 Fax
wlm_at_jsmf.com<mailto:wlm_at_jsmf.com>

From: leebduboc_at_aol.com [mailto:leebduboc_at_aol.com] Sent: Tuesday, December 14, 2010 9:00 AM To: City.Council_at_menlopark.org
Subject: Tonight's revised agenda

Council members,

An alert resident has brought to my attention the fact that the revised agenda for tonight's meeting only agendizes public comment before the special session at 5:30 p.m. It does not agendize public comment before the 7 p.m. regular meeting and mayor selection issue. This resident wondered if this was not a Brown Act issue, much like what happened with the agenda for the canceled special session that was then canceled because of Brown Act concerns.

In light of the recent events; I would caution you to err on the side of caution.

Lee Duboc Received on Tue Dec 14 2010 - 09:23:28 PST