Downtown Plan

From: Pat Marriott <patmarriott_at_(domain_name_was_removed)>
Date: Sat, 11 Dec 2010 11:52:45 -0800

Dear Council Members:

I don't live in Menlo Park, but I do a great deal of shopping there. Almost all of our furniture comes from Flegel's and every one of our 15 carpets came from The Oriental Carpet. So, over the years, I've provided the city with quite a bit of sales tax.

I like shopping in Menlo Park because (1) there are many fine shops and restaurants on Santa Cruz Avenue and (2) it's always possible to find a spot to park in the open parking lots. This is one of the big advantages you have over Palo Alto.

I do NOT like parking garages. I find them scary places, particularly at night, and I refuse to park in them, especially as the crime rate is rising everywhere.

Your plan for downtown is unrealistic. The central plaza on Santa Cruz Ave. is a huge obstacle for drivers wanting to access the shops. The middle of the main business street is NOT the place for a plaza! You already have a lovely little park near Dreger's.

Shrinking the number of parking spaces is counter to attracting people to downtown.

I find it unbelievable that you are still considering this plan when so many business owners -- who will lose customers like me -- are against it.

I hope you will reconsider before it's too late.

(Ms.) Pat Marriott
Los Altos Received on Sat Dec 11 2010 - 11:53:25 PST