Selection of the next Mayor and vice-Mayor

From: Morris Brown <mbrown5_at_(domain_name_was_removed)>
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 2010 18:02:47 -0800

Council Members:

Council should definitely continue to follow the policy for the mayoral selection.

Using the policy rules and now that Fergusson as been eliminated as a possibility:

  1. Fergusson eliminated because of the violation and her stating she will not become mayor.
  2. Mayor position is to be rotated (eliminates Cline)
  3. The choice of a mayor shall limited to those who have served at least one year on council. (eliminates both Ohtaki and Keith)

Andy Cohen is the only choice left.

Now you see the complete reversal of Kelly's position, which she pleaded on Tuesday. On Tuesday she pleaded the policy must be followed.

Here is what Kelly said at council on Tuesday:

(beginning of her words)

"Just regarding the protocol, I think it is an important protocol,19 of 20 of our Cities I believe in San Mateo County follow Mayoral rotation, like we do, although every city has a different variation on it

But even on councils where there is strong ideological divisions or personality clashes, they still follow it out of a knowledge of a need for continuity and stability. A lot of eyes are on us. Are we going to be know throughout the county as fair and balanced or we going to be the council they say "What is the deal with you guys"

(end of her words)

In her resignation letter she now states she recommends the policy not be followed. What she is saying here is, do not choose Andy as Mayor.

At a very minimum, Kelly must recuse herself from any further involvement with the choice this year of Mayor or vice-Mayor, including discussion and casting any votes.

If she won't do this voluntarily, then a way must be found to force this. Received on Fri Dec 10 2010 - 18:03:25 PST