Addressing Brown Act Violations: Reschedule Meeting

From: Julie Forbes <jbbbb_at_(domain_name_was_removed)>
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 2010 04:11:46 +0000

Dear Honorable City Council members, I am expressing my concern that Menlo Park's new Mayor has violated the Brown Act during the recent Mayoral election. The fact that an emergency City Council meeting has been arranged tomorrow at 3 P.M. to re-do the Council's vote is unacceptable as a means of addressing this matter. Instead, a City Council meeting needs to be scheduled in a manner that enables more members of the public to be notified and attend. Having previously been Mayor of Menlo Park and having held a position on the Menlo Park City Council for many years, Ms. Fergusson's response to this offense by suggesting "If there was a violation [of the Brown Act], it was not intentional" is a troubling. After so many years holding a public position in Menlo Park, it does not endear my trust to hear this kind of response or to learn that Ms. Fergusson is not familiar with the laws that govern her behavior as a public official. My trust was already violated after receiving unsolicited emails from Ms. Fergusson promoting her views just prior to the November 2010 elections. Please do not allow an environment of distrust to persist; instead, please address the issue of this Mayoral election in a public and transparent way. Thank you,Julie Forbes Received on Thu Dec 09 2010 - 20:13:52 PST