mayor selection in Menlo

From: Henry Riggs <hlriggs_at_(domain_name_was_removed)>
Date: Mon, 6 Dec 2010 17:09:37 -0800

Council members,

The city "policy" for mayor selection should not be the lead determinant this year, as none of the five members meet the initial test of selection.

In particular, it is clear to the 72% of voters who supported Measure L pension reform that council member Fergusson, who opposed the initiative - she even co-lead the opposition - should not be setting city council agenda. Pension reform remains the single most important fiscal issue in our city, and council must carry it forward with commitment, or a year of effort will have accomplished little.

Similarly, we should not have as mayor someone who opposes every major planning initiative in the city, as Mr Cohen does.

With due respect to "policy" guidelines, and the years of valued service of both the above, we truly need a considered continuity in leadership, not reversals: the choice of mayor should be from among council members Cline, Keith and Ohtaki.

Henry Riggs
Callie Lane Received on Mon Dec 06 2010 - 17:10:56 PST