Willows Area Wide Traffic study comments

From: Penelope Huang <thprop_at_(domain_name_was_removed)>
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2010 21:57:52 -0800

Dear City Council members, Staff and Willows neighbors

For the record, I feel compelled to respond to Vickie Brewster’s email (below). The email I wrote on September 23rd including the one sentence Vickie quotes, which when properly placed in context, specifically relates to a discussion of crime and traffic. It was written right after the meeting held in the Willows at café Zoe with the new police chief and Councilwoman Ferguson. Off the record I received many responses of support for this email and I make no apologies for the way I feel. Quality of life is important to me. The essence of the email was to encourage my neighbors not to leave items on the street with a “free” sign, but rather use the yahoo message boards to efficiently recycle used clothes, toys, furniture etc and I am very heartened to see this now happening, to the benefit of all of us. This level of community cooperation was the essence of what my email was about. I truly believe if we all work together for the good of the whole we will see a positive change that will translate in a reduction in crime, general safety for our children, more biking and walking, and quieter more “neighborhood-like” streets which I personally do not believe is unreasonable to expect in a residential suburb.

As far as the process is concerned with the current traffic study, a huge change was made by the Menlo Park City Council in response to residents, such as the Brewsters, who live on Donohoe Street, to include the residential households of East Palo Alto in the Study. The residents of East Palo Alto have been invited to fully participate and been actively included in tabling the results. With reference to the “No concern/Do nothing” column at the second meeting, it should be noted that there was also not an equally extreme column on the other side to choose “close streets” as there was in the 1992 plan. The City’s recent goal has been to build consensus with this plan: neither a “do nothing” nor “close streets” solution works towards consensus. The City has done an excellent job at outreach, the meetings have been better attended than any other citywide community meetings held on different topics. The 2007 meetings were attended by literally hundreds of residents, both in the fireside room at Burgess and outside at the German-American school in response to crime and traffic issues, which sparked a renewed effort with Neighborhood Watch and this current traffic study.

I hosted a meeting-in-a-box at my house and attended a meeting hosted by Julie Forbes. Both Julie and I were in agreement that my comments would not be a part of the record for her meeting and my understanding was this is how Julie reported the results of her meeting to the City. Vickie Brewster did not attend either of the meeting-in-a-box meetings I attended, so her observation of how my presence is “a compelling reason to not speak up” is unfounded.

I am the 2010 Chair of the Transportation Commission but have always made it very clear that I am participating solely as a resident on this issue. The Transportation Commission reviews transportation issues for the whole City and I take this responsibility very seriously. It is a voluntary, appointed position with only the authority to make recommendations to the Council, it is not a decision making body. I am one of seven commissioners and three of us live in the Willows.

I hope this offers a fair rebuttal to the email posted this morning.

Thank you for the opportunity.

Penelope Huang

Arnold Way, Menlo Park