Proposed Traffic Calming Devices Toolbox

From: Bob Judd <abobjudd_at_(domain_name_was_removed)>
Date: Sun, 21 Nov 2010 11:53:01 -0800

Dear Mayor Cline and City of Menlo Park,

              I am very sorry I was unable to attend the November 18th meeting to comment on the final proposed plan.

              I have lived in my home at 341 Central Avenue in Menlo Park for over ten years. As I work at home and walk the dog twice a day I have had ample and extensive opportunity to observe traffic in the area.

              There is very little traffic in the area. More often than not the streets are completely empty of traffic. Mothers wheel their baby carriages in the street. You can look down the length of Gilbert and, more often than not, not see a single car.

              True, Woodlands is an exception during rush hour when that street takes some of the pressure off traffic on University. However I suspect there are one or two the residents on Woodlands want to enhance their property values by turning their very pretty street into a semi lane. And no doubt one or two residents genuinely concerned about the safety of their chilren. Which, of course is their right and responsibility. But disfiguring my neighborhood and theirs won't do much to diminish their fears.

             These broad avenues are exceptional, beautiful, and very pleasant. At no time, in my over ten years experience has there ever been heavy traffic. There is no need for "traffic calming" because there is so little traffic. And to disfigure these broad historic avenues (at great expense) to sooth the a tiny minority who yearn for a "safe" world, would do great damage to this neighborhood which is one of the prettiest in Menlo Park.

               Moreover to spend money on something for which there is little or no need, when our schools are suffering, and we are talking about laying off firemen and policemen, seems to me to be politically and morally wrong and a waste of money.

                                                          Yours sincerely,

                                                                    Bob Judd
Bob Judd

http://juddstory.blogspot.com/ Received on Sun Nov 21 2010 - 12:00:40 PST