"There Goes The Neighborhood"

From: Margaret Petitjean <MPetitjean_at_(domain_name_was_removed)>
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2010 16:20:34 -0800

To Whom It May Concern:

As predicted the war on high speed rail lawn signs has begun. The majority of residents voted for HSR on the Peninsula with full knowledge of its route and cost/benefits.

The handful of opponents of high speed rail offered lawn signs, not just for the rally weekend but permanently, are littering the neighborhoods with unreadable, unwanted signs, other than the obvious "THERE GOES THE NEIGHBORHOOD'.

These are not just on private lawns but are on public property with the result that:

  1. The deterioration of the neighborhood has begun: There is interference with lawn mowing resulting in replacement on to public property;
  2. This is affecting apartment owners and property owners in renting or selling;
  3. Property values will go down even further from all the negative publicity;
  4. They obviously are causing hostility and discourse among neighbors who find them offensive and unsightly; some are apparently taking this into their own hands by removing them.
  5. Traffic safety is being threatened by people stopping at these signs, especially on Laurel opposite the pool on the sidewalk strip and just down from a house that has been up for rent for some time;
  6. If these signs are not removed all of the thousands who are pro-high speed rail (which, of course does not include our city officials who are using public funds for lawsuits, lobbyists, etc. in the hundreds of thousands of dollars and in complete disrespect for the voters,) will have no recourse but to take action.
  7. One response will be to have all the proponents of high speed rail erecting lawn signs to express their views and arguments. Is there no limit to such activism? Would city officials look the other way in that case?

Please immediately determine the legality advisability and limitation of continuing this fiasco which may result on violence and have these signs removed.The rally is over. Some of the 3-500 activists were among the millions of Californians who did and still do support the plans to modernize the railroad and end the diesel and noise pollution of Caltrain with separation of traffic from trains in the interest of safety. to ease congestion and allow fast inter-city travel throughout California.

While others have honored the request to keep the arguments in this matter off the neighborhood log outsiders have been accommodated by one L.O. resident who has not respected this pact.

That unwelcome propaganda will result in a self-fulfilling prophecy and destroy the neighborhood.

Margaret Petitjean, Menlo Park

attached mail follows:

Hi Lynn,

Late this morning someone stole the signs from our lawn, leaving the frames. I haven't been out to check, but my guess is that others were stolen also. When Jan and I delivered the invites for Wednesday evening we found that signs had already been stolen as of Saturday.

Not that I'm a fan of the wording (at 25 mph, all you see is "There goes the neighborhood," with the line about the HSR impossible to see), but as a matter of principle, I'd like two more signs (frames unnecessary) if you've got them (and next time I'll try to secure them better so that whoever the thief is, they'll have to stick around longer to get them loose).

Cheers,

Katherine