Recent Email entitled "Election Reflections"

From: William L. McClure <wlm_at_(domain_name_was_removed)>
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2010 01:57:39 +0000

Lee-

Your recent email entitled "Election Reflections" was brought to my attention, specifically the very last item which stated,

"BOO. Kelly Fergusson did misuse her government-funded email account, twice, to email her political views to most everyone in Menlo Park."

While it is true that Council Member Fergusson's City email account was inappropriately used for several campaign/political related email exchanges between herself and 3 or 4 other individuals, her City email account was not used "to email her political views to most everyone in Menlo Park." I believe that you are referring to several emails, sent out by Ms. Fergusson to an extensive email list expressing her opinions/positions on City Measures L and T as well as State and County propositions and local candidates for public office, including the Menlo Park City Council election. I believe that I received all of those emails and also received several complaints/inquiries at the time about her emails alleging that they came from her City of Menlo Park email address. At the time, I reviewed the emails to determine the origin of the emails. Those particular emails were all sent out from her personal email address and were sent to an email list maintained by or for her by a vendor not affiliated with the City of Menlo Park. A comprehensive search of the emails to and from her City email address (and other council member accounts) by the City's MIS people to respond to the Daily Post public records act request (which I then also reviewed for purposes of the CPRA response) confirmed that the emails setting forth her political views did not originate from her City email account.

If you have any further questions, please feel free to contact me.

Best regards, Bill

William L. McClure, City Attorney
City of Menlo Park
1100 Alma Street, Suite 210
Menlo Park, CA 94025
650-324-9300 Ofc
650-324-0227 Fax
wlm_at_jsmf.com<mailto:wlm_at_jsmf.com>
P Please consider the environment before printing this email Received on Thu Nov 11 2010 - 17:58:53 PST