Recology yard waste limits

From: Naomi Goodman <nlgoodman_at_(domain_name_was_removed)>
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 2010 21:38:42 +0000

Council;

I would like to echo Jim Harvey's concern about the apparent limit of one yard waste container with the new Recology contract. My house has a very small lot by Menlo Park standards, yet I frequently fill two of the larger, BHF yard waste containers during the peak growth season. I believe that this restriction on yard waste could have three very unfortunate, yet predictable consequences:

  1. More yard waste will be diverted into trash containers, raising all of our costs and filling landfills prematurely
  2. There will a lot more yard waste ending up in public dumping spots. I am particularly concerned for the impact on San Francisquito creek if people decide to place their cuttings there rather than pay for additional trash pickup.
  3. It will be more cost-effective to accumulate yard waste to be picked up in the twice-a-year waste pickup. This could lead to fire hazards, rodent problems, and eyesores.

Please consider modifying this policy.

Naomi Goodman
897 Woodland Ave.                                                 Received on Thu Nov 11 2010 - 13:39:24 PST