BevMo Hearing

From: mike precobb <precobb_at_(domain_name_was_removed)>
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2010 10:34:59 -0800

Council Members, I am disappointed in both the outcome of last night’s council hearing - on the issue of approval of a use permit BevMo – and of the behavior of the council.  It was my first attendance at a council meeting, and I found the ponderous, posturing deliberations of the council members to be poor theater.  One thinks he’s still a judge, one attempts to wax eloquent while losing any logic and one has grasped the main issue, but has great difficulty expressing herself. Most of the council failed to grasp the main issue and reason for the hearing: the density of liquor stores has been exceeded, so approval of use permit must find reason of necessity or convenience.  The council tried to convince us [the audience] they had wrestled with a difficult problem and come to the best possible decision; they failed. Of the many speakers on behalf of BevMo; you should have noticed that they either worked for BevMo or the property owners.  Many had come from a great distance.  Except for the [non-eloquent members] of the Morey family (who have an interest in the property, as well), there were only 2 speakers who live in Menlo Park.  Compare this with the showing to support the local merchants. I addressed the council on the assumption that the council represents the interest of the community.  If the judge believes that representing the community is engaging in a “popularity contest”, he’s definitely in the wrong job. I have no personal or monetary interest in any of the local merchants represented.  I do have an interest in Menlo Park. I think you failed in your duties to the community.   Regards, Mike Precobb cell:650-804-0632 Msg: 650-325-4938 Received on Wed Nov 10 2010 - 10:46:17 PST