Support of SOLO swim team at Burgess Pool

From: Kristen Hughes <kristen_at_(domain_name_was_removed)>
Date: Mon, 8 Nov 2010 11:19:38 -0800

Dear MP Parks and Recreation Commission and City Council,

This year, my kids switched from taking swim lessons with Menlo Swim, to being on the competitive SOLO Aquatics swim team. In addition, I used to play with the Menlo Mavens water pool team, and I loved that as well. All these programs at Burgess Pool have their place, and should continue to be available. All programs should have equal space on the bulletin boards in the hall, to let the community know the full breadth of excellent teaching and sports options available at the pool.

My kids LOVE SOLO even though they are new this year. I can see their progress week to week, and they always love the time in the pool. They want to work hard and really love swimming for coach Tom.

The start of the season was a little chaotic at SOLO because of the lack of clarity on where the practices would be held. Pool time should be fairly allocated to all users of the Burgess pool ahead of the season, so that we know when and where our kids will be swimming. Afternoon training is a requirement at my kids' ages (7 and 9). My understanding is that setting up the schedule for pool space was not as smooth as it could have been this, year, and that there were disagreements over the pool space allocation. I would urge you to get involved in ensuring that this doesn't happen in the future, by making some City oversight of the pool allocation part of the new contract for the operation of the pool.

Thanks for hearing my comments,
Kristen

---
Kristen Hughes