Ben Eiref - input on Bevmo permit

From: Ben Eiref <beiref_at_(domain_name_was_removed)>
Date: Sun, 7 Nov 2010 23:05:36 -0800

Dear Council Members,

I understand you'll be reviewing the Bevmo permit request on Tuesday. With all the energy around this topic I want to share some of the thoughts which impacted my own vote on this at the Planning Commission.

Ultimately I voted that we grant a 3 year use permit which gives Bevmo time to demonstrate its value to the community. If it turns out to be bad for the community based on real experience then the permit can be discontinued. This timing also coincides with when the Stanford property along El Camino will be ready for development.

If the City chooses to block Bevmo then will we also choose to block other branded/chain stores because they are not local and bcs they compete with existing businesses? Would we block a greeting card store or cafe because there are other greeting card shops and cafes in town? What message does blocking a legitimate store tell the broader business community about Menlo Park? Do we want to put walls around the town like this?

Again, I encourage the Council to approve the use permit. Give Bevmo the chance to prove its value to the community and send a message to that Menlo Park is open for business.

Ben Eiref
Planning Commission Member Received on Sun Nov 07 2010 - 23:07:53 PST