Burgess Aquatics feedback from Menlo Park Resident

From: Laura Vaughan <lvincentvaughan_at_(domain_name_was_removed)>
Date: Sat, 6 Nov 2010 17:49:34 -0700

Dear Menlo Park City Parks & Recreation,

Thank you for taking the time to read this message. Our family resides in Menlo Park and our three school-age children have participated in the SOLO Aquatics swim program at Burgess for the last four years and we have the following feedback for your consideration:

We are highly satisfied with SOLO, and continue to choose SOLO over the Menlo Swim & Sport swim program because of the competitive youth swim team.  Tom McRae and his team are excellent coaches and our 3 children love swimming because of SOLO. We appreciate that SOLO practices are at our local public pool.  If SOLO was not a choice available at Burgess pool then we would join a private swim team or join Palo Alto's swim club.  This would result in our family using the public city pool rarely. When considering renewing the contract with the Menlo Swim & Sport provider, please incorporate several points:  1) It is unnecesary for 2 youth swim teams to coexist in Menlo Park's public pool.  Not only is this a redundancy in the public pool's resource management, this has created an atmosphere of tension at the pool. SOLO does an excellent job with providing a competitive youth swim team - and Menlo Swim & Sport provides a broad array of aquatic sports.  This would allow these two organizations to collaborate rather than compete going forward into the future.  The children do in fact feel this tension at every practice when they walk through the center past the bulletin board (completely silent to SOLO), through the lobby, offices and the teaching pool wearing their SOLO purple swim parkas; and 2) if at all possible, contractually provide an incentive for the collaboration of these two groups - this will help Menlo Park in the long run.

Overall, we request that your decision results in allowing SOLO to be the provider of a USA Swimming competitive swim team in Menlo Park at Burgess pool.

Thank you for your consideration.

Sincerely,
Laura and Brannan Vaughan Received on Sat Nov 06 2010 - 17:56:48 PDT