Burgess Pool Input

From: Jill Kispert <jkispert_at_(domain_name_was_removed)>
Date: Sat, 6 Nov 2010 14:17:11 -0700

Dear Parks & Recreation Commission:

I appreciate the opportunity to express my views via email on the SOLO swim program at the Burgess pool as you evaluate the renewal of the pool management contract. I was unable to attend last thursday's (Nov 4th) meeting since I have 2 young kids at home and was not able to get a sitter.

I have 2 kids, 9 and 5, who both swim with SOLO. The oldest has swam with SOLO for 5 years and I feel very fortunate that my children have had access to this program. I often have friends and family visit from other parts of the country who marvel at the difference in this program from anything offered in their communities. The uniqueness in the program is attributed to Coach Tom who is truly gifted in working with children and youth. His and his staff's focus on teaching kids in a team environment with an emphasis on individual growth is providing my kids life-long skills that they do not get in other programs. SOLO provides positive opportunities for these kids to develop as swimmers, to support each other, and to appreciate swimming for fitness no matter their level or end goal.

I thank the city for allowing this program pool access in the past and ask that you please support it now and in the future in a way that lets the program and these kids thrive - with sufficient pool space, sufficient time, and at a reasonable time of day. I urge you to provide for these conditions in the new contract no matter the direction you go for pool operator. Haggling and negotiating every year benefits no one. In addition, please consider on-going oversight of the operator whether by yourself or by an independent group. As a community pool, this oversight is needed to create transparency and facilitate positive communication between the operator, the community and its many user groups.

Thanks for your time,

Jill Kispert Received on Sat Nov 06 2010 - 14:28:39 PDT