I do not support Bevmo! in Menlo Park

From: Daryl Khoo <daryldoesbikes_at_(domain_name_was_removed)>
Date: Fri, 5 Nov 2010 17:34:25 -0700

To Menlo Park City Council,

I do not support Bevmo! in Menlo Park.

I am a third year resident in the Belle Haven neighborhood. I get my snooty beer fix at Willow Market. When I find myself downtown, I'll even cruise the cold beverage and beer aisle at Draeger's Market. I previously shopped at Bevmo! Redwood City, until I discovered the selections at Beltramo's Wines and Spirits.

For each time I hear a "why not" idea, I ask myself "why" bring Bevmo! to Menlo Park. Here's my point: Bevmo! is no longer a destination for me. Allowing Bevmo! to occupy 700 El Camino Real provides me no reason to patronize that shopping center. Truthfully, I am not compelled by arguments from either side of the divide. However, I do appreciate how the arrival of chain stores impact the community, and therefore do not support Bevmo! in Menlo Park.

What should be done? The plaza should be demolished and repurposed as high density residential building. Heck, even a church would be better at that location than a Bevmo! store. Better yet, buy the land and build a dog park or community garden. I want to see something that adds value for current residents and boosts the bottom line of existing businesses in the area.

Regards,
Daryl Khoo Received on Fri Nov 05 2010 - 17:46:51 PDT