BevMo Use Permit

From: Peter T. Grassi <pgrassi_at_(domain_name_was_removed)>
Date: Fri, 5 Nov 2010 17:22:34 -0700

Dear Council Members,

I am writing to express my families oppositions to the issuance of a permit to BevMo. Their locations in Redwood City and Mt. View are sufficiently close for those who wish to shop with them. They will not offer Menlo Park anything new or more convenient. We have enough businesses in this category serving us. Instead, BevMo's arrival would be detrimental to the welfare and charm of the town. The majority of their employees are part-time workers without benefits and with very little knowledge of their product offerings. The existing liquor merchants provide more full time jobs with benefits and support numerous local charities that enhance the well-being of our community. Additionally, they offer a better selection of products and at equally competitive prices.

This giant, which is owned by a private equity company, is conscious primarily of the bottom line and is not invested in the welfare of this community in any complimentary way. Beware to not trade an impersonal corporate entity for the beloved, existing independent liquor businesses in town that have been such positive contributors to the myriad of activities that make life in our community special. Particularly one liquor merchant's family who has contributed greatly to our community for over a 100 years!

Regards,

Pete and Carol Grassi

Atherton Received on Fri Nov 05 2010 - 17:24:08 PDT