In support of BevMo - Opposing the appeal

From: Doug Bercow <bercow_at_(domain_name_was_removed)>
Date: Fri, 5 Nov 2010 15:52:52 -0700

Dear Councilmen and Councilwomen,

I am surprised the BevMo issue has any reasonable justification for appeal and I urge the Council to deny the appeal.

If the appeal were raised by individual citizens concerned about an issue that affects the community, such as noise or pollution or some other factor that affected residents of the community, I would be sympathetic.

But this appeal is being sponsored by moneyed interests who own a liquor store, and their motivation to raise the appeal has nothing to do with quality of life in Menlo Park and everything to do with their financial profitability.

The Beltramo's lobby is overstepping its role in trying to restrict competition in Menlo Park, and it is using the City Council as its venue to do so.

BevMo is no "worse" for the Menlo Park community than Beltramos, Draegers, Safeway, or any other store that sells alcoholic beverages.

This appeal has no merit.

We live in a country that was founded on the principles of free trade, capitalism, and open markets. Supporting the appeal is in direct violation of what our system is based on.

Let Beltramos compete with BevMo. It will result in better prices and better service for our retail shoppers in our community and from neighboring communities.

Doug Bercow
747 Nash Avenue
Menlo Park Received on Fri Nov 05 2010 - 15:55:34 PDT