Say NO to BevMo! in Menlo Park

From: Dave Bristor <bristor_at_(domain_name_was_removed)>
Date: Fri, 5 Nov 2010 07:28:22 -0700

Dear Council Members,

Email I received from BevMo! asks me to write in support of their store; I write instead in firm opposition. Again, I OPPOSE the proposed BevMo! store in Menlo Park: Say NO to BevMo!

Their email to me states:

    letters and emails from residents accusing BevMo!     of just about everything frombeing a "Big Box"     retailer (we're not)

Apparently they have not been to their own stores, at least not the ones in Mountain View nor San Jose: these are "big box" stores by just about any definition thereof. They don't even understand the public perception of their own stores. Say NO to BevMo!

Menlo Park has several places where one can buy alcoholic beverages. BevMo! doesn't add anything that isn't already available. So, Say NO to BevMo!

PaloALtoOnline reports:

    Jeff Sealy, the chain's vice president of real estate, said     approximately 1,600 Menlo Park residents belong to the store's     rewards program, and the store would create 12 to 15 new jobs. (http://www.paloaltoonline.com/news/show_story.php?id=18016). It is definitely worth asking him: will those be Menlo Park residents? Will he guarantee, in writing, under promise of financial penalty, that they will be forever Menlo Park residents? Council, it is your responsibility, IMHO, to help the lives of those in our town. If Jeff is not willing to do this, "Say NO to BevMo!"

Given that BevMo! will add nothing positive to our town, I again urge you to "Say NO to BevMo!"

Thanks,

    Dave Bristor
    454 Falk Ct
    Menlo Park, CA 94025 Received on Fri Nov 05 2010 - 07:29:49 PDT