I still do NOT support BevMo! in Menlo Park

From: Rob Mustarde <rob_at_(domain_name_was_removed)>
Date: Thu, 4 Nov 2010 18:15:31 -0700

Are we all going to start drinking more or will it indeed just take away business from other wine retailers like Beltramo's which provides experienced staff with a large & varied wine selection in a boutique environment at prices which are very competitive. I mean what wine supply problem does BevMo moving into Menlo Park actually solve ?

BevMo may well take vacant office space at 700 El Camino Real but how long will it then be before 1540 El Camino Real becomes available as a direct result ?

I am sure BevMo has no intention of lowering the tone of Menlo Park....but that does not mean to say that they will not lower the tone......everything is relative to what is already there. If we eventually end up with just BevMo because Beltramo's is out of business, then the tone of the town will have been lowered whether it was BevMo's intention or not. Just take a look at the 2 company's web sites to get a feel for which is a more mass-market, down-market vendor (bottle of wine for 5 cents anyone ?)

We live in a free market and any vendor (including BevMo) should have the right to request that they be allowed to do business in any part of the country. But equally the town should have, and does have, the right to decide if it is actually beneficial to the town in the short term and longer term to allow that business to trade.

One last thing for what it is worth - and some of us think it is worth a lot - there is some fine history behind Beltramo's of which Menlo Park should be rightly proud. Compare the following

"In 1880, Giovanni Beltramo arrived in California with Nebbiolo and Barbera grape cuttings from his native town of Castel Nuovo di Don Bosco in the province of Asti, Italy. He cultivated a vineyard in Menlo Park, and in 1882 he established a wholesale-retail wine and spirits business in town. After Prohibition his son Alexander moved the family business nearby to the store's current site. The store is half-way between the cities of San Francisco and San Jose, and just a few minutes away from the Stanford University campus, and although the family no longer cultivates any grapes, the store is within driving distance of the finest wine cultivating regions in California." For more details see - http://www.beltramos.com/About-Us.aspx

Compare that to :

"Beverages & more! (BevMo!) was founded in January 1994 and opened six stores in the San Francisco Bay Area during that year. We are the the leading alcoholic beverage-lifestyle superstore retailer in the western United States and among the largest in the country. With 107 stores, typically 10,000 square feet, in well-trafficked retail areas in major metropolitan markets throughout California and Arizona" For more details see http://www.bevmo.com/misc/contentpage.aspx?contentpageid=5

Call me old-fashioned, but I know which of these 2 retailers I would be more proud of operating in my town.

Rob Mustarde
650 566 1348

PS - I have zero affiliation with Beltramo other than I shop for wine there from time to time. Received on Thu Nov 04 2010 - 19:34:36 PDT