Please uphold approval of BevMo in Menlo Park

From: <GKoncz_at_(domain_name_was_removed)>
Date: Thu, 4 Nov 2010 13:32:08 -0400

Dear Mayor Cline and City Councilpersons,

As a long-time resident in Menlo Park I urge you to uphold the Planning Commission's approval of a new BevMo store at 700 El Camino Real.

In my opinion, the issues in this matter are really limited. First and foremost in the discussion is whether government should be able to restrict competiton and choice in the market place. We now have the choice of shopping at Draeger's, Safeway and Trader Joe's. My family shops at all three and each is a successful operation for different reasons. After years in the planning stages, the Safeway Center across the street from 700 El Camino provides convenient shopping for residents in Menlo Park and the surrounding communities. No one questioned its right to rebuild. Yet today we have vocal opposition challenging the right of BevMo to come to Menlo Park under zoning that allows for this use. No exceptions to the rules are being requested.

Convenience and quality combine in making a decision on where to shop. BevMo would join three other national chains in Menlo Station and fill a vacancy that few, if any local retailers would choose to do. The opponents have made a bogus argument about the BevMo store "destroying the quaint downtown charm in Menlo Park ." This is not a downtown location regardless of the fact our El Camino Corridor has been linked for study purposes with the Downtown Specific Plan.

City Councils are entrusted to make the right decision for the right reasons. There is no reason to reverse the Planning Commission's decision. Please do not accede to the wishes of a special interest group and make the right decision in the interest of the general community. Thank you.

Sincerely,
Anna Feher
1844 Camino de los Robles
Menlo Park, CA 94025   Received on Thu Nov 04 2010 - 10:33:20 PDT