I support of Menlo Swim and Sport and Tim Sheeper

From: Judy Strauss <judystrauss_at_(domain_name_was_removed)>
Date: Thu, 4 Nov 2010 10:27:48 -0700

Dear Council Members,

I am a public school teacher that lives in one of the unincorporated areas of San Mateo County writing in support Menlo Swim and Sport and Tim Sheeper. I use Menlo Swim and sport on a regular basis as a masters and lap swimmer (and very part-time coach). I have enjoyed the facility tremendously and been very proud to be part of the community that Tim Sheeper has built.

Here is what the program has done for me. At about the time that Tim began Menlo Swim and Sport, I was diagnosed with breast cancer. It was the Menlo Masters community, part of Menlo Swim and Sport, that came together to support and help me successfully recover. Many of my teammates and friends visited me in the hospital, brought meals for me and my family, drove me places when I wasn't able to drive myself and extended shoulders to cry on and lean on when I needed it most. In short, Menlo Master kept me whole through the ordeal.To quote one of my teammates, we do a very good job of supporting each other. In addition to the support that I got from this community, the fact that I was in excellent physical condition from working out on a regular basis helped me recover faster.

Our community extends well beyond the water in the pool. Let's start with the canned food drive that the masters do every February. We have raised and donated several thousands of pounds of food that's gone to local organizations that need the food. There's also Building Futures Now, started by Tim Sheeper, to help local low socioeconomically disadvantaged children have success in school and go on to college. When Haiti was devastated by the earthquake, our current swimmers of the year responded by raising money to buy Shelter Boxes. For the last 3 years we had teams that participated in the local Swim Across America event in San Francisco Bay; our teams raised more than $30,000 this year that will go to the UCSF Survivors of Childhood Cancer Program and Children's Hospital Oakland Research Institutes's breakthrough cancer research program.

There are lots of activities for families and children (of all ages). There is a wonderful swim school where kids, young and old learn to swim. There is an aqua-fit program, a fun way for adults (many of them seniors) to become and stay active in a low impact environment. We have children's camps in the summer and kids activities in the afternoon.

Menlo Swim and Sport is a vital and thriving part of the community. Thank you for your time and consideration.

Sincerely,

Judy Strauss