Supporting free markets and fair competition

From: Christine Williams <christinewilliams_at_(domain_name_was_removed)>
Date: Wed, 3 Nov 2010 16:01:17 -0700

Dear City Council,

I am writing to you to express that I believe in free markets and fair competition. As a 10 year resident of Menlo Park, I was disappointed to learn that there is even a consideration not to allow a new store like BevMo to open their doors in Menlo Park.

I overheard a conversation about this issue and decided to attend the Hometown Peninsula meeting to see what this is all about. I met Maureen Hogan (only 2 year resident of MP), who was presenting the case against having BevMo in Menlo Park. I spoke to her briefly and couldn't believe how aggressive she became with me because I didn't support her cause. Her reason for not needing another store that sells alcohol didn't make sense to me. Otherwise, Menlo would have opposed having more than one french restaurant on the same block and even oppose having more than one coffee shop and no more than one clothing boutique. And all of those businesses are doing quite well even though they have competition that is just located down the street. This issue is preposterous.

I thank you for your time.

Sincerely,

Christine Received on Wed Nov 03 2010 - 16:03:32 PDT