Burgess pool

From: Miki Armstrong <mikia_at_(domain_name_was_removed)>
Date: Tue, 2 Nov 2010 15:48:25 -0700

To Whom It May Concern,

I am writing in support of Tim Sheeper and ask that you renew his contract with the City of Menlo Park to manage the Burgess pool.

As an avid swimmer and a member of the US Masters Swim Association for over 25 years, I have had the opportunity to swim in many facilities in the Peninsula, both public and private. None of those pools have been run more efficiently and effectively, in my experience, than the Burgess pool under Tim's management. There have been many mornings, after one of my workouts, that I would look around the pool deck and marvel at all the activity in and around the pools. To me, those moments are what I regard as exemplifying a true sense of community, with people of all ages and interest levels coming together to enjoy the facilities that they know are clean and well-attended, and engaging in healthful activities that makes them more physically fit and pool safe. At those moments I consider myself so fortunate to live in Menlo Park, where we have such a fantastic pool that is so well run and completely utilized and enjoyed by so many.

As important as swimming is in my life, though, what I am most appreciative and proud of is what Tim has done for the community through the Building Futures Now program. Beside managing the pool, heading a triathlon and masters swimming program, as well as a lesson program, he has taken it upon himself to get the Menlo Masters group involved in mentoring underprivileged children from our own community. My husband and I are now in our third year of mentoring Jacob, a young boy from East Menlo Park, and the experience cannot be more rewarding for us. We have learned as much from Jacob as he has from us. What Tim has done for the community through this program alone speaks volumes about who he is as a person. I can't think of a better person for the job under consideration, and I hope the City appreciates him, not only as an excellent manager, but as a man of utmost honor and integrity.

Please feel free to contact me for further input.

Respectfully yours,

Miki Armstrong