BevMo in Menlo Park

From: <gorhodago_at_(domain_name_was_removed)>
Date: Tue, 2 Nov 2010 15:07:37 -0400

Dear Council Members,

I may not be able to attend tonight's meeting so am taking this opportunity to express my viewpoint here. I urge you to please vote no on the BevMo application to open a store in Menlo Park. I am opposed to this for a number of reasons, as follows:

It will have a negative impact on a number of already established independent businesses in Menlo Park that rely on beverage and liquor sales for revenue and cannot compete with the volume pricing that a chain such as BevMo secures. This includes some of the city's larger retailers, such as Belltramos and Draegers, as well as the rich array of smaller markets throughout the city. My local markets, The Willows Market and Hacienda Supermercada would both be hurt by this newcomer, impacting their ability to continue to supply not just beverages but a wealth of healthy food to the Willows neighborhood and surrounding community. The hypothesized job increase of 15 jobs with the BevMo store is likely to be a net zero increase or possibly negative impact, as the competition from the BevMo store will undoubtably force other stores in Menlo Park to cut back staff or perhaps close altogether. Unless the citizens of Menlo Park and the surrounding communities suddenly dramatically increase their alcohol consumption, the store will just take business from other existing retailers. Providing cheaper alcohol is not a win for the city of Menlo Park and big box stores of this type are incompatible with the city's overall ambiance. Replacing a restaurant with a big box liquor store will drastically increase traffic to that location, as customers will turn much more quickly than they would in a restaurant. That particular location already represents some of the worst traffic conjestion in the city of Menlo Park. Adding to that mess with a store of this type represents particularly misguided city planning.

Once again, I urge you all to reverse the action of the planning commission and vote no on bringing BevMo to Menlo Park.

Regards,

Rhoda Alexander
Menlo Park, CA 94025 Received on Tue Nov 02 2010 - 12:10:34 PDT