Statement Regarding City Email Account

From: Kelly Fergusson <kj_at_(domain_name_was_removed)>
Date: Mon, 1 Nov 2010 09:24:03 -0700

Statement Regarding City Email Account

I have recently received several election-related emails in my City of Menlo Park email account to which I inadvertantly responded. My standard practice is to forward such election-related emails to my personal email account, and to respond to them from my personal account.

As a volunteer city councilwoman, I read and respond to many thousands of emails per year using my city account. Likewise, I read and respond to many thousands of election-related emails using my personal account. The emails in question represent a very very small fraction of this volume.

I am aware of one case in which I inadvertently and accidentally initiated a campaign-related email chain from my city account, instead of my personal account.

AT ALL TIMES I HAVE BEEN IN CONFORMANCE WITH THE BROWN ACT, and in particular in the one instance when two other councilmembers were copied on an email string. The recipients of the email were likely unaware it had been sent from my city email account. The city attorney has confirmed that NO VIOLATION OF THE BROWN ACT OCCURRED despite a so-called "expert" being quoted in a local newspaper to the contrary.

These emails were sent from my personal computer located in my home office. They were not generated using a city computer or other city resources.