$3-4 Million Deficit This Year!

From: Chuck Bernstein <cbernstein_at_(domain_name_was_removed)>
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2010 11:19:07 -0700

THIS LETTER WAS NOT RECEIVED BY THE CITY'S WEBSITE ON FIRST SENDING.

Council Members:

I intend to speak at tonight's meeting about the failure of the staff and the council to address the city's revenue shortfall and the fact that it may result in a deficit of $3 million to $4 million this year (according to the attached analysis and commentary).

We have known about the problem since late July. It was confirmed in a report to the council at last week's meeting. And yet, no discussion has taken place about how to address the problem. Instead, the first order of business at tonight's meeting is to celebrate "Arts and Humanities Month."

Some will say that my reasons for bringing this to your attention are political. That is true: if you were addressing the financial situation adequately, I would not be motivated to run for a seat on the council. However, in response to any potential accusation of my reasons being political, I will suggest that the reasons this matter has NOT come before the council are political. If residents knew the trouble we were in, they would be far less likely to approve of the performance of the incumbents.

Please see my attached letter and analysis of the deficit.

    --Chuck Bernstein

        444 Oak Court
        Menlo Park, CA 94025
        cbernstein_at_headsup.org