RE: ** Sidewalk to Nowhere...

From: Taylor, Charles W <CWTaylor_at_(domain_name_was_removed)>
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2010 14:28:37 -0700

Dear Mr. and Mrs. Gerow,

Thank you for your interest in maintaining the beautiful character of Menlo Park streets. We too are deeply committed to maintaining the quality of life in Menlo Park. At times we find there are competing interests and this appears to be one of those times. While we of course value attractively landscaped neighborhoods, having a safe place to walk is another important community value. We believe that both can coexist. Many Menlo Park streets that have sidewalks are attractively landscaped.

My prior e-mail focused on the City’s Sidewalk Master Plan. This is only one of the reasons we wish to retain sidewalks in Menlo Park. The following provides a broader context for our decision on your request to remove the existing sidewalk from the public right-of-way in front of your home.

One of the responsibilities that the Public Works Department is tasked with is to maintain the safety, access, and circulation of the City for all transportation users including vehicles, pedestrians, and bicyclists. This responsibility is also included in the General Plan for the City, which includes several policies related to pedestrian improvements and safety. To summarize policies in Goal II-E of the General Plan, the policies state that the City shall require all new development to incorporate safe pedestrian facilities and shall endeavor to maintain safe sidewalks and walkways where existing within the public right-of-way. These policies are the overarching goals of the City to enhance and maintain a safe environment for pedestrians. A dedicated sidewalk for pedestrians is the means to provide for their safe movement without conflicting with vehicular movements. The sidewalk is viewed as part of the roadway and overall connectivity and circulation of the City’s travelers. Sidewalks are an important part of the City's infrastructure to promote walking and to provide a safe refuge for pedestrians to walk separate from vehicular travel.

Separate from City specific policies there are State and Federal guidelines and policies that support dedicated pedestrian facilities. The California Department of Transportation (Caltrans) has adopted a directive to incorporate "Complete Streets" into their projects. Complete streets essentially means a roadway that is designed with all modes of travel in mind (vehicular, bicycle, and pedestrian) and to provide for their safe and efficient movement. A complete street typically includes pedestrian amenities such as sidewalks. Data from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration shows that 4,378 pedestrians were killed and 69,000 pedestrians were injured in traffic crashes in the United Sates in 2008. 76% of the fatal crashes occurred at non-intersection locations. According to the National Complete Streets Coalition, pedestrian crashes are more than twice as likely to occur in places without sidewalks.

In 2008, the State Legislature adopted Assembly Bill 1358 which requires cities that update the circulation element of their general plans to “plan for a balanced, multimodal transportation network that meets the needs of all users of streets.” Users of streets are defined in this new State law as “bicyclists, children, persons with disabilities, motorists, movers of commercial goods, pedestrians, users of public transportation, and seniors.”

I hope this provides you with more detail related to City policies regarding sidewalks within the City and the reason the City cannot support the removal of the existing sidewalk in the public right of way next to your property. I have also provided specific answers below to the questions you asked in your email.

You would also have the right to appeal the encroachment permit denial to the City Council. If you would like to appeal please contact Jennifer Ng at 650-330-6740 and she can provide you with the requirements and applicable fees.

Sincerely,

Chip Taylor

Engineering Services Manger

City of Menlo Park – Public Works

  1. How did Princeton get ranked high in the sidewalk master plan?

The City’s Sidewalk Master Plan was utilized as a method to survey the City’s existing sidewalk system, identify gaps, and rank streets in the categories of “high, medium, and low” for needing sidewalk improvements to be constructed.

Six categories were considered for the scoring process. They are: Vehicle Volumes, Destinations, Priority Routes, Pedestrian Opportunity Areas, Ease of Implementation, and Cost Benefit Analysis. Princeton Road earned a total score of 108 points, ranking it in the “high” category. All streets with a score of 100 or more went into this category.

The specific point breakdown for Princeton Road is as follows with the total points possible in parenthesis:

· Vehicle Volumes: 4 (20)

· Destinations: 18 (20)

· Priority Routes: 2 (5)

· Pedestrian Opportunity Areas: 20 (20)

· Ease of Implementation: 5 (5)

· Cost Benefit Analysis: 5 (15)

You’ll notice that the points add up to 54, which is for one side of the street. Both sides of the street scored 54, bringing the combined total point score to 108.

2) How will the City enforce the plan equitably?

The Sidewalk Master Plan Project was accepted by the City Council in late 2008. The process outlined within the Master Plan states that as funding becomes available, City staff will perform outreach to property owners along selected segments to solicit their input. Because funding is limited, staff would first seek to construct sidewalk in those areas where adjacent property owners were amenable to the installation, with the intent to revisit sites with more difficult implementation difficulties at a later time.

3) How was the Master Plan communicated to the public?

Outreach for the Master Plan project was achieved through several means. A community meeting was held in December 2007. Advertisement of the community meeting was achieved through a notification in The Almanac newspaper, and via an announcement during a Council meeting. In addition, an online survey method was used to reach residents. The online survey was advertised through the same newspaper notification and the community meeting. The Master Plan was presented to both the Transportation Commission and City Council. Both Commission and Council meetings were noticed via agenda postings.

4) What is the setback in our block?

Princeton Road is a 60-foot wide right of way. Currently, the travel way (roadway between the curbs) is 34’ wide. Therefore, the property lines are set back approximately 13’ from the curb face, as this is public right of way. This is the area in which the sidewalk currently resides. The current configuration is that of a detached walk, that is, a sidewalk separated from the curb by a planting area. The curb face to edge of planting area is 6’, and the sidewalk dimension is 5’. The neighbors to the south of your property also have the same detached sidewalk configuration, the most recent being 100 Princeton Road, which the City required the new house to construct the sidewalk, in addition to curb and gutter.

5) Can the Sidewalk Master Plan be appealed?

The Sidewalk Master Plan was approved by the City Council in 2008; therefore, there is no appeal process for the Master Plan itself. The selection of specific streets to get new sidewalks under the Master Plan is a decision that will be made by future City Council’s as project funding becomes available and is allocated. Additional outreach will be done prior to selecting streets and a preference will be given to areas where a majority of property owners support new sidewalks.

6) Which streets (other than Woodland) on the high ranking list have undergone development in the last two years?

Santa Cruz Avenue between Hillview Middle School and downtown is the only other street that has been funded to receive new sidewalks. Preliminary design of this segment is underway. There are currently no plans to install sidewalks on Princeton. Citywide there are 82 street segments ranked as high priority in the Sidewalk Master Plan.