Deny Appeal Concerning Heritage Tree Removal at 240 University Drive, MP

From: Jerry Jones <jjonespe_at_(domain_name_was_removed)>
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2010 15:18:44 -0700

Monday October 25, 2010
Dear City Council Members,

I am writing to urge you to uphold the EQC's recent decision to not allow removal of the heritage tree at 240 University Drive. This appeal by the owner is in my opinion without merit and as a purchaser she must have known that this tree would be a constraint on alternative development opportunities on the property based on well known city ordinances. I have lived in Menlo Park since 1973 and in the Allied Arts Neighborhood since 1975 and one of its assets is the tree cover. Indeed, the Menlo Park logo toutes  "Menlo Park, a Tree City USA community”.

While the arborist's report confirms the health of the tree, if you visit the site of the tree, it is quite obvious that it is healthy and beautiful specimen. I am surprised that an owner would want to remove such a remarkable tree from their property knowing how long lived and physically stable redwood trees are known to be. Given that there are several other design options for a new structure on the property, it is reasonable in my opinion that the tree remain and a new structure be built around it in a manner that does NOT damage the tree’s root structure.

If you approve the appeal and allow removal of this tree, this act will set an unfortunate precedent indicating that individual economic interests supercede local ordinances established for the good of the entire community and the environmental aspects and esthetic charm of this established neighborhood, one of the oldest in Menlo Park.

Thank you for your consideration of this issue. Best regards,
Jerry L. Jones, PE
725 Cambridge Avenue
Menlo Park, CA 94025

 jjonespe_at_sbcglobal.net