renewal of Burgess Pool contract

From: erna metzger <ernamj_at_(domain_name_was_removed)>
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2010 11:14:23 -0700

Dear Council Members
I have been a regular lap swimmer at Burgess Pool for many years, long before it was remodeled. I hope to continue to swim there year round, for many more years.

I have been very pleased with the availability of the pool for lap swim. Please, note, I am not part of the Master Swim program. At first, when the contract was awarded to Mr. Sheeper, I was concerned that his Master Swim program would supersede the general interests of the citizens of Menlo Park. Also, I was concerned that a publicly funded pool would be used for a private business, with public monies funding private business.
However, as I have used the pool regularly, I have found that there are always lap lanes available despite the periodic changes in my schedule. Occasionally, it is a bit crowded in the lap lanes when they are reduced for other programs, but generally this has not been a problem. It seems that a fair and very workable situation has developed between private and public interests.

I urge you to carefully look at all applicants for the contract renewal. Please make sure there is a commitment to continue to provide lap swimming at the same convenience currently available and that there is also a commitment to providing equal and fair services, in general, to the public. Given that Mr. Sheeper has provided excellent service over the past 5 years, perhaps you can give special attention to his application.

Sincerely,
Erna Metzger Jones
725 Cambridge Ave.
Menlo Park, CA Received on Mon Oct 25 2010 - 11:14:24 PDT