** Re: Sidewalk to Nowhere...

From: <debbiegerow_at_(domain_name_was_removed)>
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2010 16:45:24 +0000

When might I expect the courtesy of your reply?

Thanks,

Debbie Gerow

This is the worst possible answer from Jennifer.

I have an eyesore of a sidewalk that deadends on either side of my property.  Not only am I not allowed to take it out - it sounds like, inspite of the "High" ranking for installing sidewalks on my block of Princeton, the likelihood of that happening is lower than low.  The city is forcing me to keep a SIDEWALK TO NOWHERE - which is an absurdity.  It does not contribute to the safety or aesthetic of our otherwise bucolic neighborhood.  I would be happy to have a sidewalk which attached to everyone else's sidewalk, or I'd be happy to match the other houses on the street and NOT have a sidewalk - but the way this plan is being implemented in front of my house is nothing short of ridiculous.

I would appreciate having answers to questions that Jennifer did not answer below or which she did not answer from my second email to her:

How was this Master Plan communicated to the public?  (I am not the only neighbor who has recently landscaped at great cost and who is shocked to just now hear of this Sidewalk Master Plan.)

Which streets (other than Woodland) on the High ranking list have undergone sidewalk development in the last two years since the City adopted this plan in 2008?

How did Princeton get ranked as high - what is the breakdown?  As mentionned below, we do not have any destination traffic on our street.  Over 90% of the houses on Princeton and Yale do NOT have sidewalks.  The cost to put in so many new sidewalks would be high, not to mention a huge inconvenience to people who have not had a sidewalk in front of their homes in over 20 years, perhaps never.

What is the setback for our block?  6 feet or 11 feet?

How will the city be enforcing this equitably?  Last week's paper covered articles on how landscaping walls were not being enforced in some cases, but is in my case....

Finally, I'd like to ask what recourse I and my neighbors have in appealing the plan to have sidewalks installed on Princeton?  We have a beautiful, close-knit neighborhood.   We've celebrated block parties in the street for 15 years now, our kids carpool or bicycle caravan to school together, we block our street off for Halloween to ensure the safety of hundreds of trick or treaters that flock to our street.  While I haven't spoken (yet) to each and every neighbor, I have spoken to many of my neighbors, and we all prefer to keep our neighborhood without a sidewalk.  How do we best convey this to the city, and appeal sidewalks for our street?

Sincerely,

Debbie and Mark Gerow

138 Princeton Rd.

Hello Debbie,

Let me send you a link to the Citywide Sidewalk Master P lan Project.  The report was completed and accepted by the City Council in September, 2008.   The second link below is to the report that staff prepared to the City Council for this project.

http://www.menlopark.org/departments/trn/sidewalk_project.html

http://service.govdelivery.com/docs/CAMENLO/CAMENLO_101/CAMENLO_101_20080909_en.pdf

In brief, the City hired a consultant to identify gaps within the City’s sidewalk infrastructure.  The streets were ranked high, medium, and low, based upon weighted criteria, as explained within the report.  Princeton Street is ranked as high, meaning that it is more likely than a medium ranking street to be considered for potential future City project funding, should such funding become available.   Even within the high category, with the number of streets named and limited funding available, it is likely to be many years before sidewalks are constructed even just to fulfill this category.

In the meantime, development projects are asked to construct sidewalks where appropriate to the level of development taking place.  Because we’ve identified a need for sidewalks along Princeton Avenue, we are not able to grant a permit to remove the sidewalk in front of your residence.  Eventually, as significant development takes place on your block, those homeowners in turn will be asked to construct sidewalk along their project frontage.

Currently, as a result of the Citywide Sidewalk Master P lan Project report, a City project is in progress to construct sidewalk on Woodland Avenue between Menalto and Euclid Avenues.

Your recourse for appealing my decision, is to contact the Engineering Services Manager, Chip Taylor, at 650-330-6740.

Regards,

Jennifer Ng

Senior Civil Engineer

Public Works Department