Fw: No sidewalks for Princeton Rd. Menlo Park

From: C. Dusel-Bacon, C.R. Bacon <bacobitz_at_(domain_name_was_removed)>
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2010 20:58:10 -0700

Dear Menlo Park City staff and counsel: We have been homeowners at 139 Princeton Rd. in Menlo Park since 1978. Princeton is only two blocks long and gets no through traffic. We just learned that the city plans to add sidewalks to our street (for some reason it has been deemed as a "high ranking street”). We strongly oppose such a plan and respectfully ask you to reconsider imposing sidewalks on our street (the block closest to San Francisco Creek -- the 100 block of Princeton.) Our block of Princeton has been almost completely without sidewalks since we bought our home here. In 1978 (or 1979?) we were given permission by the City (Mike Bedwell was City Manager at the time) to remove the section of sidewalk in front of our house (it had no sidewalk on either side of it and none on the rest of our side of the street). I believe our street is one of the prettiest in the entire city because of the mature street trees and the canopy they create. Removal of our sidewalk allowed us to not jeopardize the health of the magnolia street trees that were buckling the sidewalk and to replace the unattractive buckled concrete with attractive vegetation that has enhanced the Carmel-like atmosphere of our Allied Arts neighborhood. We were disappointed to learn that our neighbors across the street at 138 Princeton who are in similar situation as we were in 1978, have just been denied the opportunity to remove the discontinuous sidewalk in front of their house (only one of three on the entire block.) Please DO NOT spend our tax dollars on unwanted and unnecessary installation of sidewalks on our street . There is no safety issue in our neighborhood that requires them, and the negative effects of forcing them on us are many, including: 1. It would drastically change the character of our neighborhood (since 85% of the neighborhood have no sidewalks) 2. It would be costly to homeowners, in terms of changing irrigation, plantings, etc. 3. It's a waste of valuable city funds in a time of reduced revenue and completely unjustifiable in terms of the small amount of traffic (we have had no overflow Allied Arts Guild parking in decades). 4. Princeton Road is not a destination thoroughfare. Thank you for considering our request. Sincerely, Cynthia Dusel-Bacon and Charles Bacon 139 Princeton Rd. Received on Wed Oct 20 2010 - 20:58:25 PDT