Sidewalk in from of 138 Princeton Road

From: <markgerow_at_(domain_name_was_removed)>
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2010 02:12:36 +0000

All,

My wife Debbie has done an excellent job of outlining our concern and frustration with the so-called "sidewalk master plan".  I am writing to make clear our solidarity on this, along with virtually all of our neighbors in the Allied Arts area.  In addition to the points Debbie has made regarding lack of communication, inconsistent application, and indeterminate implementation of the "plan", I profoundly regret the urbanization of Menlo Park (if my wife and I had wanted sidewalks we could have stayed in Palo Alto!)

I have to say, upon reading the "plan" it sounds like something dreamed up by civil servants with too much time on their hands, nudged along by cement contractors!  It's also ironic in this election year when Menlo Park is proposing $millions of building code and zoning concessions to one developer, it cannot summon the common sense to see that a "plan" that results in piecemeal segments of concrete sidewalk, forced on citizens as ransom for building permits for unrelated projects, can only result in an eyesore - with each segment in a different state of decline, a slightly different phase of discoloration, and no safer than walking on our quiet and quaint streets.

Who, exactly, approved this "plan"?  When was is communicated to the citizenry? Why should my family have to live with a sidewalk-to-nowhere on one of the quietest and least traveled streets in Menlo Park, when the city has no coherent plan or time-frame, and when its enforcement is totally inconsistent?

So far we have not received any rational explanation, only a resounding "no" - this is unacceptable.

Mark Gerow Received on Wed Oct 20 2010 - 19:12:40 PDT