In support of Menlo Swim & Sport

From: Anna Lippi <alippi_at_(domain_name_was_removed)>
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2010 18:01:44 -0700

To the Menlo Park City Council,

I would like to just take a moment to write to you in support of Menlo Swim & Sport and their current contract with the city of Menlo Park to operate Burgess Pool. I have been swimming at Burgess Pool since the pool opened and have enjoyed the use of its facility on an almost-daily basis. I love swimming here! It is such a pleasure to be at this facility because it is beautifully maintained, clean, and inviting! Having been at numerous pools throughout San Francisco and the Peninsula, I can speak to the care and attention that this place receives.

While I primarily swim during the Masters Program or during Lap Swimming times, I have also been at the pool during public swim times when it is open to the community.

I currently work with a group of children in East Palo Alto and have been volunteering in this program with them for the last two-three years. These kids have had the good fortune of learning to swim at Burgess Pool a couple of years ago and now they absolutely love to go there to swim any chance they get. This group of children was about 8 years old when they first learned to swim and I still recall the huge smiles of accomplishment at being able to swim across the pool. These swim lessons even included some of the older siblings in their families who had never learned to swim before. Imagine having children in this community that could not swim and now can! It's wonderful to see the joy that they experience at being comfortable in the water - not to mention the relief that their parents experience in knowing that their children are now water-safe. One mother expressed relief at now being able to let her teen-age son go to the water slides with his friends as she would never allow him to go before he had learned to swim!

I am currently a mentor for a 10-year old girl in this program. We try to see each other 2-3 times/month. She is always asking if she can go swimming at Burgess because she loves being in this pool. If she had not learned to swim with her group 2 years ago, this would never have been available to her. Once this is learned, this is a life-long love that we are giving these children!

More than any satisfaction that I personally have about swimming in Menlo Park at Burgess Pool, this is a very small part of what has been happening at the pool these last few years. I have personally experienced and seen the benefits of the swim lessons and pool accessibility that have been made available to the children and families in Menlo Park and East Palo Alto. When I see the smiles on the faces of kids who did not know how to swim and now can or the pure joy of a canon ball jump into the water after a well-done swim lesson - there is nothing better. To make the children in our community water safe and to give them a life-long love of swimming with the benefits of exercise and good-health that it can bring - there is absolutely nothing better.

So, in closing, I hope you will take a good look at the varied programs that have been made available to the Menlo Park community and the good works that have been accomplished. I know that they have worked very hard to make the pool available to a wide range of people and interests. I know that it is working for me as a Masters & Lap Swimmer. I know that it works for the young children and their families in the East Palo Alto program where I volunteer. I see the ongoing activity and vitality of the programs at the pool when I visit during open swim times.

Thank you for this opportunity to express my thoughts.

Sincerely,

Anna Lippi

920 Sunset Dr

San Carlos, CA 94070     Received on Tue Oct 19 2010 - 18:01:24 PDT