menlo park burgess pool contract

From: Julie Gosler <juliegosler_at_(domain_name_was_removed)>
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2010 17:17:01 -0700

To Whom it may concern,

I'm writing regarding the renewal of the Menlo Swim and Sport's contract to operate the Burgess Park Pools.

My experience with Menlo Swim is a negative one due to a small family swim area and inflexible swim school schedules.

A community pool should always have a family swim area available to residents, but Menlo Swim only keeps a TINY sliver of the pool open to families. This section is ALWAYS over crowded and unpleasant. The crowded area coupled with the lifeguards yelling at children with bullhorns is just too much for me. I usually make myself drive all the way to Riconada Pool in Palo Alto where the lifeguards are much more professional. It makes me crazy to have to drive 15 minutes away when there is a community pool just a few minutes from my house but I feel the drive is worth it.

I've tried several times over the past two years to sign my boys up for swim lessons through Menlo Swim, however, I find the company to be inflexible and difficult. I wanted to sign up my sons for a semi-private swim lessons (since it is impossible to find two lessons at the same time in their age group), but they would not allow me to put them together since they were at different swim levels. They are one year apart and the difference in their swim skills is minimal. So again, I drive to Redwood City to enroll my kids in Peninsula Swim School which didn't bat an eye when I put them together. We had a wonderful experience, but the drive! How I long for an easy experience in my town's own community pool.

Once of the reasons I moved to Menlo Park was the town's amenities. I feel that Menlo Swim is not holding up the standards for a community pool in this area. I hope they change their practices or the town finds another company to fill their spot.

Sincerely,

Julie Gosler
Menlo Park Resident Received on Mon Oct 18 2010 - 17:17:06 PDT