Menlo Swim

From: Kathy Coulbourn <kmcoulbourn_at_(domain_name_was_removed)>
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2010 13:21:54 -0700

Dear City Council Members,

My name is Kathy Coulbourn, and I am a resident of Menlo Park. I am an avid runner and swimmer, wife, and mother of three. I am a big believer in the importance of fitness and community as beneficial for my family and for the place where I have chosen to live, and I believe that the presence of Menlo Swim at Burgess Recreation Center has done a phenomenal job of fostering this spirit.

My two younger children, currently ages 3 and 5, have been in swim lessons at Menlo Swim since age 1. My daughter has always been very timid and reluctant in the water, but due to the great instruction and incredible patience of the Menlo Swim instructors, she has been able to conquer her fears at her own speed. In addition, the fact that she can take lessons year round has made a huge difference in her steady progress. She also turned a real corner last summer when we signed her up for Menlo Swim Camp. Menlo Swim set up a special program so that emerging/beginning swimmers could enjoy a week of camp. She took a swim lesson five days in a row and got extra playtime in the pool. Not only did she have a fantastic time at camp, but the consistent instruction and time in the water changed her whole attitude to the sport. We are planning to send her next summer again and hope the program will continue.

Our 3 year old son is the opposite. He is a fish and keeping him out of the water is a challenge. Menlo Swim has been able to accommodate his ability and young age and we are thrilled that he is able to move along at a pace that is appropriate for him.

My husband and I are Masters swimmers and have been swimming with Tim for over 10 years. One of things that makes Tim and his program so successful is his love of swimming and his drive to bring health and fitness to his community. I believe he has been able to spread an appreciation of swimming, fitness and health throughout Menlo Park and beyond and as a result has helped make Menlo Park a happier, healthier and more active place to live. He has turned the pool into a community, into a place that is always buzzing with activity, where children and families are outside having fun, being healthy and getting fit with friends and neighbors.

I wholeheartedly support the continuation of Menlo Swim to run activities Burgess Pool, and I think losing Tim and Menlo Sport would be a real loss for the community.

Sincerely,
Kathy Coulbourn
The Willows
Menlo Park, CA Received on Mon Oct 18 2010 - 13:22:02 PDT