** Burgess Pool Contract Renewal

From: Jeff Hewitt <jhewitt68_at_(domain_name_was_removed)>
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2010 11:27:20 -0700

Dear City Council Members:

I understand that the contract for running Burgess Pool is up for renewal and would like to offer my perspective on the current operator, Tim Sheeper.

So that you understand the context for my opinion, my experience is:
* I was a Pool Operator in Maryland many years ago

My opinion is that Tim Sheeper is doing a spectacular job and should be awarded the contract to continue running the pool. Some points:
* The leadership of the pool (not the facility) is dramatically
improved since Tim began running it. I remember being disappointed by the lack of energy of those who worked at the pool prior to Tim.
* The number of programs and the quality of the programs offered at
Burgess is much higher than what was offered previously. In particular, I've observed the swim lessons today and it is far superior to what I brought my kids to 7 years ago.
* Tim has used the pool facility as a way to bring the Menlo Park
Community together. This includes a program to tutor less priveledged children in the community, a canned food drive each February, movie nights in the summer, etc. His leadership and ability to bring a community together are unique.
* I've watched him work enormous hours to build the programs and
community behind the Burgess Pool center that we currently enjoy. With his current high level of performance, it would be incredibly unfair to take it away from him.

Thank you for considering my view,
Jeff Hewitt

--
Jeff Hewitt